leaky harps

I have a big river and a couple other harps that I have been trying to =
tweak to get more responsive.  My special 20's sing when I blow or draw, =
instantly.  These guys wheeze.  They are clean.  I think the reeds are =
set correctly according to the lee oskar kit book.  But it just doesn't =
respond right away.  I haven't paid enough attention to this beeswax =
thing.  Is there a way to seal them so the air goes over the reeds =
instead of elsewhere?  Remember, I am a little mechanically challenged =
but educateable.  :-)
Jude