Hering 1923 vintage harps - quick review

I just received half a dozen Hering "1923 vintage" harps from Hambone
Hamilton (HarpmanX@xxxxxxxxxxx) and have to say they are the best "out
of the box" diatonic harps I have ever played.

These harps have the TONE - they have a punchy, tight, brassy sound,
very reminiscent of the old style Marine Band - which has always been
my favourite harp when I get a decent one. All bendable reeds are
responsive and strong, with bends on the three draw being very reliable
and controllable (always a crap shoot with the MB's). High end bends
are tight and punchy. Of course, I don't overblow, so I can't comment
on that zany stuff.

The comb is wood but sealed somehow - I seriously doubt it would swell
(but I don't spit in my MB's like some guys seem to, so they don't
swell much anyway). The harps have a heft to them and look built tough
- - the cover plates look like they were taken off an old MB, but are
more substantial - no support bar, same as an MB, but they would
certainly take more weight to bend or collapse. (Don't tuck them in the
back pocket of your Levi's, though).

The only down side (and as you'll see it's more an issue with my
playing style) is that the lower key harps (G, Ab, A) have some reed
rattle on the 1 or 2 draw. But I think this is a result of the set up.
In terms of reed responsiveness, they play very close to a custom harp
(I've played a few of those suckers) so the reeds take less work to
control. Playing amplified with these is a dream, the reeds respond
well so you can just totally concentrate on phrasing rather than
fighting the harp. The moral (for me) is to play with less wind attack
than I do on MS Pro Harps and MB's... I guess I've grown accustomed to
having to fight a harp, lol.

The mid register harps (C, D) don't have this problem at all and are a
dream to play - and very strident and loud, tone-wise.

At the price I paid, these are less for me to buy shipped from the US,
than I pay for harps at my local guitar store. (And I have to say I get
a substantial price break on those because, well, just because...).
Harps here are $45 Aust. These were less than $30 a piece, plus
shipping.

I've played the other Hering diatonics and wasn't impressed with the
volume or the reed set up. But these 1923 harps are really first class.
They also look great - golden brassy metal and a an ochre coloured
comb. If you've been heartbroken over the reliability of MB's and
you're not the kind to fiddle with gapping and stuff, then these are a
really good purchase.

cheers
Andrew

www.thegroovekings.com.au