Re: what's in your CD player, revisited

Ludo said:

>Some people give usefull side info about why they like a particular cd -
>some just mention a name.
>If only the latter would say (about eg Eva something, Paul Harrington and
>some more) what style/harp or whatever it is - maybe more people who don't
>know these artists would check out that cd too.

that's a great idea. we shoulda been doing that from the beginning. so, in
review:

Masters of Modern Blues -- Johnny Shines: Big Walter plays on some tracks of
this record, as do Otis Spann and Fred Below. but the real star here is
Johnny himself. he's just such a unique performer (imo). very ragged,
sometimes to the point where i wonder if he's just flailing on the guitar,
but still, the music doesn't sound amateurish or grating -- it moves you.
people who dig punk should dig these blues.

Paul Oscher - Knockin on the Devil's Door - i think Paul plays guitar, harp,
piano, and bass harp on this album (multitracked sometimes). Paul's just
incredible, he picks like Muddy, blows like Walter, writes tunes that sound
like they've always been around. he plays amplified, but with an acoustic
"feel." a living legend, imo.

the Red Devils -- King King -- possibly the best rock-BLUES (as opposed to
Blues-ROCK) band ever. this is top-notch "bar blues." Lester Butler sings
and plays harp. very amped. lots of nods to Little Walter, but with a
distinct tone and phrasing. i love his versions of "Quarter to Twelve" and
"Cross Your Heart." his original tunes are great too. killer band. it's no
wonder Mick Jagger wanted to play with these guys ;)

Jimmy Rogers -- Ludella -- anyone who likes blues should own this album.
it's simply a classic. (amped Chicago blues -- by one of the originators,
some live cuts, Kim Wilson on harp)

the instrumentals i mentioned -- "Oye Como Va" (Tito's version from Mambo
Birdland) lays out well in 3rd on a G harp for the horn parts. try octaves.
for solos, a D harp might be best.  "Watermelon Man" (NOT the Mongo
Santamaria version, but the Poncho Sanchez version. oops) lays out perfectly
on a Bb harp, cross. "One for Daddy-O" (Cannonball Adderley) great
smokey-cool jazz. i've been trying it on a C chro. "Memories of You" (Benny
Goodman) i think it's in Eb. if anyone can help me with this tune on chro
i'd appreciate it. The Meters are a great New Orleans funk band, no harp,
but enough space to play over. Jr. Walker is a "Saturday Night Live"-style
sax player. great jumpin' stuff. try to steal some licks, if you can.

ok... long enough...