[slidemeister] Daily Almanac - May 9

Country music singer-songwriter, guitar and harmonica player Hank Snow was
born on this day in 1914.  Snow grew up in Nova scotia and was heavily
influenced by the music of harmonica player Vernon Dalhart.  Snow began
making records in 1936 and remained active until his death in 1999.
For more about the life, career and recordings of Hank Snow, please visit:
http://www.eharmonica.net/hank_snow.htm

Blues-Rock singer, guitar and harmonica player Steve Katz was born on this
day in 1945.  Katz's career got started in the mid-1960's as a part of Dave
Von Ronk's Ragtime Jug Stompers, then Jim Kweskin's Even Dozen Jug Band.
Katz later played with Blues Project, Blood, Sweat & Tears and American
Flyer before becoming a record company executive.

Old-time country guitar and harmonica player John McGhee died on this day in
1945.  McGhee partnered up with guitarist Frank Welling from 1917 to the
mid-1930's and the two recorded over 250 songs for various labels.
For more about the life, career and recordings of John McGhee, please visit:
http://www.eharmonica.net/john_mcghee.htm

Former list member Paul "Doc" Van Der Sidje was born on this day in 1961.
Doc was one of the good guys and he fought the good fight against cancer,
but we lost him last year.  we will all miss him.

Blues singer and harmonica player Lester Butler died on this day in 1998.
Butler was really making waves in the harmonica world during his short, but
brilliant career.  He played with R.L. Burnside, Mick Jagger and others as
well as fronting his own group, The Red Devils.
For more about the life, career and recordings of Lester Butler, please
visit:
http://www.eharmonica.net/lester%20butler.htm

That's all I have for today.  have fun and practice.

Peter Krampert, author
The Encyclopedia of the Harmonica
http://www.eharmonica.net

For general help; send a blank message to:
slidemeister-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
to suspend your participation in SlideMeister; send blank email, with "Imouttahere!" in the subject box to: ajfedor@xxxxxxxxxx