Re: What amp for 12C

In a message dated 5/5/03 10:08:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mdestefano@xxxxxxxx writes:

> > Ok people I have a question. I want to buy another,
> > big, amp. Probably a Fender. Tube, of course. So far
> > Im leaning toward a Super Reverb, a Bandmaster Reverb
> > or a Bassman. Im not interested in a boutique
> > re-worked Bassman [if you know what I mean] that has
> > cherry wood, carries itself and does backflips. I want
> > a work-horse/mofo that can get very loud and stay very
> > muddy. I want it to sound like my vibrochamp does in
> > the studio- but LOUD at a gig. My test is the
> > ~whooooooooo~ in Whammer Jammer [needs to sound
> > electronic/distorted when I say ~wooo~], and the
> > number two draw better sound like a synthesizer.
> >
> > So. I ask this for myself, but maybe it could be a
> > nice thread: ~For a 1200 bucks, what amp would you get
> > to know youll have good crunch at any venue [and, to
> > sweeten it; lets say you have a roadie to lug it
> > around].
> >
> > I thank you all in advance. It was this [well, in the
> > garply days] list that turned me onto my vibrochamp
> > for miking or studio. Now I want a big amp- but with
> > major crunch and power.
> >
> > And, yes, I know there are other factors, as far as
> > balancing my distortion against feedback- - - but Im
> > looking for something a little less fussy than the
> > classic Bassman [which seems to only be able to be
> > ~really crunchy~ past 4 when the band aint playing.
> > Translation: ~Works fine in my basement/not at a gig~.
> >
> > So. What amp would ya buy for loud crunch if you had
> > 1200 bucks to blow???
> > Thanks,
> > Robb

Howdy,

$1,200 will get you a nice used, broken in Victoria Bassman. If you want
distortion just turn the amp up,but I will warn you no serious player goes on
stage (harmonica or guitar) and has their amp massively distorted. A very
distorted sound through the PA is shrill and horrible sounding to the
audience. If you don't believe me take a nice long cord and step out about
ten to fifteen feet away from your amp and hear what it sounds like from the
stage. Chances are if your amp is dimed out and has "mega crunch" onstage it
will sound like mega-crap out front. This is important because you are
playing to the audience, and if you sound like crap to them then there is no
point in getting onstage.
Also real players do not play with really loud stage volume (there are
exceptions like Ted Nugent and Rod Piazza, but they have serious skill and
experience behind them that allows them to work around that). The reason why
they don't is that it makes the soundman's job alot harder, and also it makes
it harder for them to hear all the other members of the band. Volume wars
onstage are the result of idiotic immature musicians not professionals, the
best bet is to get other members of your band to play quieter. Muddy Waters
and most other blues acts during the 50's and 60's did not play with major
volume. The stage volume was quite soft compared to most bands today, there
is reason for that. Your best bet is to not find an amp with "mega crunch"
,but to find one that will give you a good tone at a decent volume. For your
standard band my recommendation is the Victoria Bassman.

Andrew