Re: 3 Hole Blow problem

Many harp players work to break the habit of always using 2
draw!  Both definitely have their place, and their use depends
on the demands of phrasing and your air supply.

Choking under high air pressure is a sign of a too-narrow gap.
Take the top cover plate off of your harp and, under strong
light, notice the position of the 3 blow reed, the gap between
its end and the inside of the reedplate slot.  With a toothpick
or something, press down on the reed until you've permanently
widened the gap.  Start gently and work up, reassembling the
harp and blowing hard to test when you've succeeded.

This should help.
- -John

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 13:03:20 -0000, David Roberts wrote:
>I've noticed ... that when blowing hard on the 3 hole
>(mainly on an A harp) the  sound cuts out completely. I know I
>should really be using the 2 hole draw  instead and am
>currently working on correcting this bad habit, but for now
>was  wondering if this is a common problem? Is it down to
>my technique or is it just one of those things that happen?

- --
John Thaden
jjthaden@xxxxxxxxx
Little Rock, Arkansas