Re: clean harp

> what about the great clean players ........ What is their mic of choice. do
> they play through an amp or through the pa system. What type of particulars
> do they require when they set up. This is what I'd like to hear about. Jerl

When going through a PA system, I use whatever mic is available or given to
me and request that the sound man turn the treble control all the way down and
leave the mid and bass controls at their 12:00 position. I also ask for just a
little bit of echo/reverb.

A few trial notes through the system will then help the sound man to dial up
or down the effects and adjust monitor level.

I don't obsess with all the variables and make my own adjustments in real
time while playing, using control of my technique as my variable.

I treat it very light heartedly. Sound crews find me extremely easy to work
with. This is a benefit, as they become more personally interested in helping
me craft a better sound. (More flies caught with honey than vinegar approach).

The same philosophy is used when playing through amps. I'll use whatever is
provided, making adjustments on the amp quickly to set it up. Since I have
become very comfortable and confident with my acoustic sound, the amplification is
just a minor side issue.

In working on the other side of production with major talent (as a Piano
Technician), it was interesting to see how these artists deal with similar issues.

The mid level talent tends to complain and wants to be catered to the most.

My favorite performers have been Dave Brubeck, Marian McPartland, Les McCann,
Dr. John, Bob James and Ivan Moravec. When I remain by the piano to ask them
if everything is alright before the concert, they say, "As long as you did
your best, I'm sure it will be just fine. Don't worry about it." They are class
acts and their talent speaks for itself.

The Iceman