what zappa thought of hendrix (non-harp)

I found this interesting - thought you might too.  Zappa was such an
insightful person who could express himself in a way that put things into
perspective.  Enjoy - Jimmy
_

Throughout his life Frank kept expressing his admiration for Jimi's
originality, and what Frank admired in Jimi perhaps best summed up in a few
words he said during an interview by Martin Perlich (probably conducted in
late 1972).
When Frank was asked how he managed to keep the attention of his audience
with the advanced type of music he performed, he answered...
"How do you know? All you got to do is keep a strong backbeat to it; it
doesn't make too much difference what the pitches are. As a matter of fact,
you start defining terms like serial or atonal and things like that, well -
feedback is atonal and Jimi Hendrix used to do that up the ass, so what's
the
difference? He had the right showmanship to present with that and going into
a serial framework might be just another logical extension."
- -----------------------------------
"Hendrix is one of the most revolutionary figures in today's pop culture,
musically and sociologically. His success is a curious paradox in view of
historical prejudices. He dropped out of a Seattle high school in the 11th
grade. He was raised strictly by his parents... 'They taught me to have
manners.'  He is reasonably sincere and humble... 'We are lucky to be
listened to.'  He is apparently very happy with his commercial success.
Partly because it allows him to act out some of his childhood fantasies (in
his
clothing, for instance)... 'I always wanted to be a cowboy or a hadji baba
or the Prisoner of Zenda.'

"His strongest appeal is to the white female audience ranging in age from 13
to 30, with the highest concentration of victims between 19 and 22.  'I just
carry advantages with me in my back pocket when I go off at a gig.'  His
charisma also extends to a white male audience, 15 to 25.
"Hendrix's music is very interesting.  The sound of his music is extremely
symbolic... orgasmic grunts, tortured squeals, lascivious moans, electric
disasters and innumerable other audial curiosities are delivered to the same
mechanisms of the audience at an extremely high decibel level. In a live
performance environment, it is impossible to merely listen to what the
Hendrix group does... it eats you alive... Hendrix will frequently be
asked... 'Do you think of any particular girl while you're playing, or do
you
just think of sex itself?' Meanwhile, the boys will ask... 'What kind of
equipment do you use? Do you get high before you go on stage?'

"The boys seem to enjoy the fact that their girl friends are turned on to
Hendrix sexually; very few resent his appeal and show envy. They seem to
give up and say... 'He's got it, I ain't got it, I don't know if I'll ever
get it but if I do, I want to be just like him, because he's really got it.'
They settle for
vicarious participation and/or buy a Fender Stratocaster, an Arbiter Fuzz
Face, a Vox Wah-Wah pedal, and four Marshall amplifiers."