Re: Same Old Thing

Mark wrote:
> still waiting to hear one that doesn't sound like one...
> but I don't get around much

The problem there is that lots of folks might be using them with great
intonation and fluidity, and you might not then realize that they're
overbends!  If you aren't familiar with all the notes available on the
particular harmonica tuning they are playing you might not realize exactly how
much you're hearing them.  Carlos del Junco, for instance, uses both special
tunings and overbends.

> any recommendations for recordings, artists, websites putting
> on a decent display of their use?

No doubt Howard Levy is the Master, but Carlos del Junco is a great one, as is
Greg Szlapcynski.  Lots of guys are using them in what is otherwise pretty
normal 2nd position play, like Rosco (Maybe August) and Adam Gussow and Jason
Ricci.  I think the use of overbends takes these guys beyond the traditional.

- -tim