RE: was positions now is scales and modes

>>Scorcher sayeth:

> > I now (think I) realise that:
<SNIP>
> > The relationship "commonly" associated between modes and positions
is,
> > I guess, just a convenience of association because some modes "lay
> > better" in certain positions.
> >
> > ....Is that right?
>
>Ironman Mike Curtis replies:
>
> Yup - that's it.
<SNIP>

> Good luck.
>
> BTW I'm not a fan of overblows.  They have a "cardboardey" sound to
my ear.
> I find that a partially valved harmonica sounds *much* better, and
gives a
> more "even" sound.
<SNIP>

...To which I (Scorcher) say:

Mike, I'm with you...mostly.

I've heard guys like Adam Gussow slip in an overblow that's EXACTLY
appropriate (and than there's Howard Levy!), but, I've decided to
strive for a VERY traditional sound in my blues playing, so I'm
staying away from OBs -at least, right now.

I'm listening to a lot of acoustic stuff, and still playing mostly
acoustically right now, (or mic'ed, in an acoustic STYLE) trying to
work on TONE.

If I tried to work on OB's now, I think it'd distract me from what's
more important to me _at_the_moment_.

FWIW, I've heard you play (even shared a stage with you at one of the
LARHA jams for a couple tunes), and I think your acoustic tone is
GREAT, and your approach to the instrument is unique & impressive.
Your "resonance" really give a guy like me something to strive for.

...But my valved Lee Oscar doesn't get played much...I'm working on my
other 'tonics and trying to learn 3rd position on a Chrominaka III I
acquired recently.

Interestingly, if you use the word "position" on the Slidemeister list
to refer to a key-change, they all say "HUH? why don't you just say
'Key of Dm on a C harmonica' ?"

he-he-he...

- -Scorcher