RE: Positions

Mike Curtis said:
> Positions are not the same as modes.  That's why no one else
includes modes
> in positional charts.  They don't belong there.
HUH? Most of the position charts I've seen include the mode on Pos
1-6.

> If we play ANY mode in G on a C harp (any of the various majors and
minors,
> diminished, etc.), it's 2nd position.

WAIT:
WITHOUT overblows / overbends, isn't the scale that we play in 2nd
position a Mixolydian Mode "by definition"?

> It's sometimes convenient to associate positions with modes, but
it's also
> inaccurate.

Hey, I'm not an authority by any means, but this post has me totally
confounded - everything I've read about positions up to now has them
inseparable with the modes "normally" associated with them.

I'm not arguing the point - I'm just asking for clarification. Can any
of y'all explain this in a way that a 3rd-grader could understand? I
don't want to keep laboring under a misconception (about modes), if
there's a better way to understand positions.

As SBW said: Help Me!

- -Scorcher