RE: Mic cup

Luke asks:

>Right, i have no clue if this post is going to get through, but what
the hell....
>Ok, I'm just starting to get my playing amplified, and I've been
playing through a green bullet for a few months now. my question >is,
how tight should I be able to get my hands cupped around it? there's
definately a gap, around the heels of my hands. I mean, I >can
definately hold water in my cup, without the mic, and it bugs the hell
out of me that I can't get it really tightened down. am >self-teaching
[very slowly] so don't have anyone to compare to. am i just a victim
of small hands syndrome? any help you can send >me.....

Your hands should close up completely around the mic for a "good cup".
I think astatics are a bit smaller than GBs - and there are other
alternatives - Butterfield used a Shure 545 (or something like it).
I've built a "Star Trek" mic out of a Turner SSB that is very compact.
You may have to experiment to find something that works for you. But
when you gen a nice, tight cup - MAN!