Re: Mic Cup

Random things I've learned along the way:

- - Compare a Golden Melody to a regular rectangular harp and see how you do
with tone and feedback.  I have yet to actually see what the difference is,
but my GM's cup tight as a drum, whereas I can't stay nearly as tight with
my Sp. 20's.  No doubt the curves fit your hands better.

- - Loose the urge to "ride the edge" of feedback.  Turn it down a little and
you won't have to grip quite so tight.  Some amps overdrive at lower
settings which can help dodge part of the problem.
Of course feedback aside,  overall tone will be better with the tightest
practical cup, but there is no point in playing cat and mouse with the
squeal all the time.  (What do I know - maybe some folks like to live
dangerously).

- - Astatic Brown Biscuits are wonderful.  Any harp, any time will be snug as
a bug in a rug.  They are great for chromatics too.

- - Fill the little holes in Shure shells.  They don't look like much but it
seems to help to plug them.  Even though there shouldn't be any open air
between the element diaphram and the back inside of the shell, the sound
gets in and plays havoc.

Interesting topic - I'll be curious for other advice.

Dean