Re: Flutter/was TB

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "James Thurgood"
<thurgood@xxxx> wrote:

BTW, I've stumbled onto another way to produce a flutter-effect -
what if anything is actually fluttering I don't know, but it feels
like
the roof of the mouth, rather than the tongue, is somehow fluttering.
It creates a slightly different sound, with a bit of a growl to it.

- - thurg

======

Thurg - is it at the back of the roof? If so, that's the soft palate.
It's the same thing that flaps in the breeze when you snore. I've
heard Joe Filisko use this to devastating effect when imitiating the
growling of old-time jazz trumpet players, in combination with using
a cup-uncup effect produced with a tiny tin cup.

Winslow