Re: Blues in Austin Texas

Tim, it looks like you need to come to Austin for a refresher.  Some stuff has changed since you were here last-- Steamboat moved to Congress and Riverside and is apparently about to shut down.  La Zona Rosa only occasionally hosts shows these days and I don't believe is even open most of the time.  But most of your info was on target.

Dov, check out the Austin Chronicle (www.auschron.com) for good music listings.  Like Tim says, try to catch a Guy Forsyth show (sings, plays harp, guitar, slide guitar, *saw*; Sundays 8PM at Antone's, plus other times).  Also, Antone's seems to be trying to recapture it's blues roots by booking some great names -- James Cotton played in June (curses, I was out of town) and it looks like Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown and Pinetop Perkins played last week.  I don't know who's on for August.  Antone's also does 'Blue Monday' with various artists and a Rob Roy Parnell happy hour (great diatonic and chromatic blues).

Other clubs:  Joe's generic bar on 6th; the 311 club on 6th (blues jam on Tues night, apparently harp-friendly); The Continental Club (Toni Price, Tues. happy hour plus much more stuff); the Saxon Pub; Gino's Italian Grill (actually a restaurant, but does Sun. night blues jam, also harp-friendly); possibly Hanover's, a few miles north in Pflugerville.

Musicians: W.C. Clark is a local blues icon; Gary Clark Jr. (young guy who can really tear up a blues guitar!); Jon Dee Graham; Jimi Lee (local jump blues harp player, jimileeband.com); Toni Price; Malford Milligan (powerful singer); The Resentments; the others mentioned by Tim, plus more.

Other: The Austin Chapter of the HOOT harmonica club usually meets Aug. 11 at 7:00 PM at the Dougherty Arts Center Theatre, 1110 Barton Springs Road, Austin TX. www.hoottexas.com

Blues on the Green:
August 6 - Marcia Ball
August 20 - Doyle Bramhall, Los Lonely Boys

Music runs from 7:30 till 9:30 in the evening. The outdoor stage faces Town Lake, with Rock Island as a backdrop, paid parking ($2 per vehicle) is available off Stratford Drive under the Mopac Bridge. Austin Parks rules apply, so pets on leashes, no firearms, no bad attitudes, etc... You can bring your own food to picnic on, or purchase food or soft drinks from vendors on site including our food sponsors Curra's Grill and Romeo's - Alcohol is not allowed in Austin Parks. NO GLASS CONTAINERS!!

That should probably get you started.

Have Fun!
Frank

> Dov wrote:
> > Hi - can anyone tell me where I can hear some good
> > Blues in Austin, TX in August ?

[SNIP]