Re: Blues in Austin Texas

Dov wrote:
> Hi - can anyone tell me where I can hear some good
> Blues in Austin, TX in August ?

A good place to start is the Austin Chronicle, the entertainment weekly for
that city.  It has an excellent club listing section that will tell you who's
playing where.  Check the online version at www.auschron.com.  I think the club
listings may only go one month in advance, so specific acts may not yet be
listed.

Gary Primich (www.garyprimich.com) lives in Austin and plays around town a
bit.  An absolutely great act to catch is Guy Forsyth (www.guyforsyth.com), who
plays great harp, excellent slide guitar and has a voice that has to be heard
to be believed.  I once saw Guy sing one tune unamplified with his band in a
large club, and it was chilling!

Antone's is always a pretty good bet for blues.  Sixth Street is a little too
trendy for me (where the college students hang out), but if you do go down
there Joe's Generic Bar is good (albeit small and stanky), and sometimes good
folks like Charlie Sexton or Chris Duarte will turn up at a place called
Steamboat.  The warehouse district (4th Street, east of Congress) has some good
venues, including La Zona Rosa, which usually books road shows.  The
Continental Club on South Congress nearly always has good music.  There's a
great bar in the University of Texas Student Union called the Cactus, they have
top-notch local and regional acts there.  The Saxon Pub on south Lamar is a bit
off the beaten trail, but can be worth the drive.  If not, just stop at Matt's
El Rancho for a plate of cheese enchiladas and head down to the Broken Spoke
and see Alvin Crowe (definitely NOT blues!) for some boot stompin'.

Man, I miss Austin...

Enjoy yourself!

- -tim