Re: Amp Questions

You can't really go wrong with a Fender tweed amp or a brownface amp
(or copies of the same). With the right mic you don't even need to mess
with the tube set up.

I've played through a few vintage tweeds and they usually sound great
for harp (except maybe the Harvard which is clean). Champs and
Princetons sound phenomenal of course. I used to have a '63 Concert
that was great for harp without any tube swaps (but heavy!).

I currently have three knock-offs of tweed amps, built by Greg Powis at
www.retrosound.com.au; a champ, a deluxe and a super. The champ sounds
great with most any mic - probably best with a black label CR element
Shure silver bullet. The Deluxe sounds best with a mid 50's CR green
bullet and tube swaps but also with a Turner DX I just got from Tom
Ellis and no tube swaps (thanks Tom!). The Super sounds, well... super.
It now has matched TungSol 5881 and that really made the sound a lot
sweeter - it loves my 1940's Astatic model A and the Turner. Tube swaps
aren't important on the Super because the tone controls are very
interactive. You can crank it up or keep the volume down and wind up
the treble and bass to get it clipping at low volume.

If you don't have access to vintage tweed, I'd recommend checking out
Victoria, Clark and Retrosound because it's the next best thing.
(Actually the build quality and tweaking is often better...) Of course
it will take some playing and gigging for the speakers to wear in and
get that mojo - and you should spend decent $$$ on the better NOS tubes
- - but if you want good harp tone you can't go wrong.

Cheers
Andrew

PS. To the other Andrew - thanks for the Kim Wilson review. I can't
wait to score a copy...