Re: Other instruments that Harp-L'ers Play

I play a little mandolin but picked up sax a few years
ago.  Was getting to the point where the songs I
wanted to do required overblows, and personally I
don?t think they sound that good most of the time.  If
you work on it a lot I think you can eventually get
there, but there are only a handful of players out
there that can pull it off in my opinion.

Seemed kind of discouraging and I naively thought if I
was going to do that much work I might as well learn
sax.  In hindsight I suspect it would have been easier
to work on my overblow technique. But now I have two
instruments I love. Some songs you can play either,
some songs just scream for harp and some songs really
benefit from that fat honkin? tenor sound.  It?s nice
to have a complimentary tool in the belt.

Of course after only a few years I still am pretty
lame as far as being a good sax player. But I can do
fills and stabs and the occasional simple solo without
embarrassing myself too much.  Ironically I spend
about 80% of my time practicing the horn, but only
play it in my band on about 20% of the tunes.
Fortunately I think it?s helped my harp playing as
well.

Bill H