Re: Other instruments that Harp-L'ers Play

> From: Roger A Gonzales <gonz1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:35:39 -0700
> To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Other instruments that Harp-L'ers Play
>

>> Is harmonica the only instrument you play?
Played drums for about 26 years.

I also play an instrument called a "Kan" that I bought in Thailand. It is
their version (somewhat) of a harmonica. It consists of  two rows of small
diameter bamboo tubes lashed together with tiny holes to create pitch. An
oval, wood tube bisects the tube clusters at 90 degrees. Blow into the oval
tube, move fingers and viola! - a drone like buzzing sounds comes out. It
works by both blow and draw, has a sonorous quality kind of like a
Australian digereedoo or bagpipes, and takes the wind out of you like
crazy. I use it to warm-up before blowing harmonicas.