Fwd: RE: One-time harp students

I've heard that story, but it was Little Walter. Little Walter was
the scrappy one - that's what got him killed. Big Walter, from
Madcat's account (included in his interview in HIP No. 5), was a
mysterious and diffident teacher. He'd demonstrate something, Madcat
would attempt to play it back, and Walter would day, "Not like that!"
and show him again. But he never explained anything. The lesson ended
when Walter finished the fifth of whiskey that Madcat brought him.

Winslow

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michelle LeFree"

My harp teacher delights in telling me a story about Carey Bell
taking his
lessons the hard way from Big Walter.  Evidently George "Harmonica"
Smith,
his harp mentor, told it to him.  According to the story, when Bell
was
having trouble learning third position, Walter got frustrated and
took him
out back and smacked him up side the head every time he made a
mistake until
Carey got his third position playing "down pat".  My teacher gets
this evil
gleam in his eye each time he mentions this...  But, not to worry,
I've got
third position coming and going!  However, if he starts in on
twelveth, I'm
in trouble.  :)

Michelle

- --- End forwarded message ---