The "stigma"

   Following along with this stigma thing, I got to thinking that it
might be fun to give a personal example of how this stuff comes
about. Dropping all ego (of which I have NONE), I started laughing
because it is as plain as the proverbial nose on the face.

   Having had absolutely NO lessons and (at one time) not being able
to read, I felt that I was 1. limited. 2. amateur. 3. beginner. 4.
ignorant
5. dis-advantaged. 6. in a fog, etc. as to how to handle a tune
(correctly that is).

   Now let's say you are going to "sit-in" with a group. The group
ALREADY exists, YOU are the addition. Chances are the group will be
doing something THEY do. This may not be something YOU do. They will
have an idea as to how they are going to approach the tune, you don't.

   It may come to pass that THEIR stuff is something you are either
not comfortable with OR simply can't handle. Hey, it's no sin to be
honest and SAY "I don't think I can handle that one". That's a lot
better than getting up there and making a complete a$$ of yourself.

   Keep in mind you will ALSO be making jerks out of the whole group
and have them wondering what the He!! they were thinking for inviting
you up to play in the first place. Now after you are "honest" a
couple times you will have the group wondering about you and just HOW
capable you are. You will start to look "Limited".

   The sad thing is: IF YOU were able to do YOUR stuff, the rest of
the group may have trouble with YOUR style/selection/speed/ etc.
thereby making THEM look inadequate. Here's where the problem lies:
   1. The group was ALREADY there.
   2. YOU came LATER
   3. YOU play catch-up (catsup Ketchup?)
   4. YOU do the bending
   5. YOU are the guest
   6. YOU don't make anyone look bad
   7. YOU are ambassador for the harmonica.
   8. YOU remain humble

   The other night I was playing with a group and while the keyboard,
drums, bass, & guitar CONSTANTLY provided background as all the
instruments (one at a time) took a solo, every time I approached the
mic to put in some small "grace" notes, the guitar player acted as if
I was trying to STEAL someone's solo. I WASN't. The intent was to
JUST add grace notes. I had to tell him that without the mike, I
wouldn't be heard at all, whereas HIS guit. was plugged in ALL the
time.

   I cornered the guitar player during the break and asked "hey,
what's the deal?, you 4 guys are the ONLY ones allowed to do the
WHOLE tune?"

   You see, I don't remember the guitar player STOPPING while I was
doing MY solo. In fact, there was one spot where I could have
"Milked" the schytt out of it if the putz hadn't "Blasted" me with a
(poorly done) run.

   The keyboard man said something which, while appreciated, came off
as being a "fluff-off". He said that my harmonica was SO TASTEY that
they didn't want to overdo it and he was watching the crowd and they
seemed to be ANTICIPATIVE (is THAT a word?) of my next "Flurry".

   Ah well, the life of an itinerate musician........smokey-joe