Gig Roots [was Re: simple question]

At 03:47 PM 6/16/2003 EDT, BARISAXJIM2@xxxxxxx wrote:
>Anyone know why a gig is called a "gig" ? Where did the nickname
>come from? Just curious.

This was a subject of much discussion on Harp-L a year or two ago, so you
might search the archives via Google or whatever.

One of the most plausible explanations I've heard is that musicians used to
go out in a horsedrawn cart or wagon referred to as a "gig" to get to the
venue where they were to perform.  Hence, they'd go on a "gig" or go
"gigging".

There are other conjectures for the name, of course!  ;)

On the other hand, this is also what nighttime gator huntin', with
flashlights to spot the eyes and spears to do the giggin', is called down
hear in the Florida swamps!  [As opposed, of course, to gruntin' for worms,
that is.]  There's also frog-giggin', basically the same as gator-giggin',
but on a bit smaller scale.

Just had to weigh in and wander off topic... despite being rather busy
lately attempting to take over Harp-L, ya know [as someone oh, so cleverly
implied awhile back.]  Well, back to it...

;)
Bobbie
>>>   bobbie giordano   <<<>>><<<>>><<<>>>   harp giggled here   <<<