Re: Stigma of the Harmonica

This has been my experience as well.  If you want respect for your
instrument, become respectable on it.

One reason guitar gets more respect is that there are a lot of excellent
guitarists setting the mark.  There is a lot of good instruction material
available, and a lot of guitarists are very studious types, putting the time
and effort into it to rise above the crowd.  It is rather expected that
guitarists know a modicum of theory, like chord names, progressions, and
such.  One could theoretically "wing it" on guitar, banging out chords and
leads mindlessly, but this would be an uphill battle.  There is enormous
pressure for guitarists to know basic music theory.

Contrast this with harmonica, where the norm is to honk and chug (in other
words, to make sound effects, not melodies and/or coherent chords), and
where music theory is often eschewed as "robbing your musical soul".

What if guitarists did this?  What if they were satisfied with mere sound
effects, and avoided music theory like it was SARS?  I think we'd find the
same stigma attaching itself to that instrument.

Actually, in a very real sense, guitar also carries with it a stigma of its
own.  Most guitarists have a very limited knowledge of chords (major, minor,
7th, and not much else), theory, and often don't read music or read poorly.
Contrast this with pianists, who usually are much better versed in theory,
and are typically good readers.

I'm not knocking "chuggers and honkers", nor guitarists who know a whopping
three chords.  There's plenty of room for all of us.

When I take the stage and play harmonica, there is no lack of respect.  I've
spent over 50 years honing my craft, learning all I can about the valved C
major diatonic, chords, basic theory, and developing my own unique style of
playing harmonica.

Fortunately there are excellent books and resources available for harmonica
players who want to take it to the next level.  All they need is that one
elusive magical ingredient - elbow grease.

BTW some LIVE tunes by The IronMan Curtis BonTemps Blues Band:
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/WalkingToNewOrleans.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/PrettyWoman.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/StormyMonday.mp3
(and - hint hint - we're looking to tour)

Health care for blues musicians?  Sign the petition!
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/qd3d2222/petition.html

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues Magazine
http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm jam Starboard Attitude, Redondo pier
Every Sun, 2pm Stagger Inn, 9018 Alondra, Bellflower, except:
Last SUN, LARHA HarpJam, Tia Juanas, Irvine
6/11 10pm BB Kings, Universal Citywalk
6/18 7-11pm Mission Tobacco, Riverside CA