Don't cry over spilt milk. Mop it up! WAS Stigma of the Harmonica

<quote>

Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:29:21 EDT
From: IcemanLE@xxxxxxx
Subject: Stigma of the Harmonica
"A little rectangle of metal and plastic".....
The harmonica is a legitimate musical instrument and, as such, has all the
depth and complexity of a Steinway Grand Piano in mastering it musically.

This stigma of "metal and plastic" is the perception that we, as a harmonica
community, work so hard to overcome in the minds of the public.

The Iceman
</quote>

Hey there,
I'm not so sure that this "stigma" isn't propagated in part by insecure
harmonica players who wail about the lack of respect for the instrument.
:-)~

Most harmonica models are small instruments.  She's right!
It is relatively young compared to most other instruments.
One could say its comparable in age to the saxophone. History has been kind to
the saxophone lately.

The harmonica had a good run in Western countries during the earlyish to mid
1900s when money was tight and so were entertainment funds.
We are currently in an era which doesn't favour the instrument and its turn may
come again. Perhaps not in our lifetime.

There are plenty of harmonica players out there who are doing their best to give
the instrument a good name, unfortunately there is a far larger number of people
out there who are giving other musicians & audiences just cause for their
attitude towards harmonica players.  Sometimes its just too easy to pick that
instrument up.

The same could be said about guitarists, however, it would seem the proportions
in numbers are quite different. Also there are many more excellent guitar role
models than excellent harmonica role models to date and I think this is part of
what affects perceptions too.

I believe there are two or three things that we can do now that will help the
harmonica's global reputation in the long term:
* Lead by example.
Learn to play well, practise aplenty, don't be another drunken wannabe who
storms in on some else's gig and blows up a ... wet fart.
Learn to be a good musician as well as a good harmonica player, learn onstage
etiquite and find out what it is to behave as a horn player.
If you can talk to other musicians on their own level you will gain a little
more respect.
The more role models we generate as a community in different genres, the more
likely we'll spark interest in coming generations and spur them to take the
instrument up with a passion.  The biggest advantage of the harmonica is how
much unexplored territory there is.

* Make education readily available.
I think this is a huge key.  Compared to other instruments the available
education as applied to harmonica is lacking considerably, at least in terms of
published English material.  Admittedly there is a derth of "beginner" material,
but beyond a certain point the river runs dry.
I believe the more freely available education is made and offered to others in
easy to digest means for the public. The more accessable the eductation is made,
the more potential there is for anyone to pick it up and learn without having to
struggle so much.

* Increase the mass market and the manufacturers will follow.
This is a long term point. And I think incredibly hard to affect directly.
I believe one way to increase the mass market is by increasing education and
more people leading by example. If we want professional instruments made at a
professional level (for a professional price mind you) rather than the toys for
beginners that make up the current market, then we need to give the
manufacturers a big enough market to make it economically viable.

I think the best way to help encourage these things is to focus on them.  Simple
enough.

To encourage harmonicists along the paths they have chosen, to tolerate & be
compassionate with those who are learning, and to ignore anything that detracts
from this.

For instance the very act of bemoaning the poor state of our harmonica's
reputation will only reinforce it.  Instead rise above it and talk about how we
are each playing a part in furthering the instrument and building on what people
have already done will encourage and inspire others to do the same.  Talk about
what you're doing, or better still: don't talk, Do!

I think I'm doing my bit in leading by example.
There are many others among us who are doing the same.

Pat Missin & myself run an email group of about 300 people who's goals are very
much in line with what I've just written here, in addition to musicianship and
the technical aspects of the instrument itself.
Anyone who has an interest in discussing these things and becoming a part of the
solution are most welcome to join.
You can read about the group focus, goals, guidelines and how to join here:
http://www.harpon.org

Warm regards
G.