  From: Jude Stensland=20
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx=20
  Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2003 10:23 AM
  Subject: Re: Re: Learn Bends

         YIKES!  Looks like I don't know what the heck I am talking =
about.  Better shut up.  :-)   Who would think that a little rectangle =
of metal and plastic would present such amazing complexity?  I will go =
back to listening. =20

        Jude =20

        > Strangely enough, the over blow is
        > something I learned before I knew
        > there was a name for it, just fooling
        > around in first position.
           <snip>
        > Blow bend and overblow, I hope they
        > are the same thing.

        Blow bends are the bendable blow notes in Holes 7 through 10 of =
        standard 10-hole diatonic. These go down in pitch smoothly from =
the
        blow note

        Overblows are the notes you get in Holes 1 through 6. They pop =
up to
        a note that is higher than the draw note. Being able to do blow =
bends
        helps prepare you to learn overblows.

        > Also tongue blocking, as my genetics
        > allow curling my tongue.

        Do you mean that you curl your tongue into a U-sharp and channel =
the
        air through it? The usual name for that is U-blocking. Tongue
        blocking refers to a different technique where your mouth covers
        several holes (usually between 3 and 5 holes). You don't curl =
your
        tongue into a U, though you may curve it up or down so that the =
tip
        is not poked into the holes. You place your tongue on all the =
holes
        within your lips, except for the one hole in the right or left
        corner . This isolates a single note. There are several =
additional
        techniques associated with tongue blocking:

        - lifting or slapping down the tongue to alternate full chords =
with
        single notes either percussively or rhythmically

        - Blocking out the holes in the middle and playing the notes in =
the
        corners of your mouth to produce octaves and other blocked =
intervals
        (sometimes called split intervals)

        - playing a blocked interval and alternating the two notes by
        wiggling the sides of your tongue, while keeping the blocked =
holes
        blocked.

        - alternating a high chord and a low chord by moving the tongue =
from
        side to side, alternately blocking two groups of notes

        - raking your tongue from side to side rhytmically the create
        a "textured" chord

        - various combinations of the above.

        Winslow