Re: Posts and Yahoo Archives (no harp content)

<quote>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 17:42:28 +0000
From: "Jp Pagan" <coquiblues@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Posts and Yahoo Archives (no harp content)

hey all,

     it looks like some of the comments that are posted to Harp-l never make
it to the Yahoo Archives (which is where i read all the posts from). for
example, some of the posts in the "Positions, chromatics, jams, and an
unholy mess" thread seem to be in reply to other posts that are not on
Yahoo. is this a glitch? something that should be fixed? i wonder just how
much i'm missing out on.

          --Jp
</quote>

I'm afraid you are right Jp.  A number of posts never make it to the Yahoo
archive.  It was only a stop gap measure whilst the Garply archives were down.
It seems to update once a day, and I'm guessing that anything posted while its
updating the archives simply gets lost forever.

Its not wise to rely on Yahoo as a remote archive service alone, it was just a
last resort to rescue as much as possible while there were continual delays and
problems with the primary server archives.  Now Harp-L is on a new server, but
still no archives.

I've asked whats happening with the new server archives and to date have
received no reply from Jonas or Mike Polesky as to what is happening there.

It sounds like they're still recovering from the recent crash.  I notice that
HTML posts are continuing to cause trouble in the Digests.

The next best thing I can suggest is to get the digests rather than depending on
the archives, at least you'll know you're getting to read all the posts.

G.