Re: ZOOM 505 AND CRATE VC508

Don (I'm thinking NOT so dumb...) wrote:
> Anyone ever use a zoom 505 processor with harp? I  have a Crate VC508 and
> mostly use a commando mic.

I'll say I *own* a Zoom 505.  Wanna buy it?  It was literally used like maybe
twice in my home, never gigged.  I bought the 505 a few years ago thinking it
would be a good way to sample a variety of effects (chorus, flange, etc.)
without having to lay out $100+ each for separate stomp boxes.  Of course, the
first thing I did with it was to run through the preset effects available, and
I found that almost none of them were of much use for harp.  You simply don't
need guitar overdrive on a harp mic...  The 505 does have editable patches, and
therein probably lies the key to making it work for harp, or at least serve the
purpose of sampling the various effects.  I never spent the time with mine to
learn it.

A friend of mine recently gave me an Alesis Wedge, which I like quite a bit
more.  The interface to editing the effects is much more straightforward, and I
like the reverb quality much more (mmmm, "Memphis Plate").  These boxes are
discontinued I believe, and he picked his pair up at a closeout for $100 each,
probably about the same price as a 505.

On the strength of the performance of the Wedge, I just bought an Alesis
MidiVerb 4 off ebay which will go in my amp rack.  I haven't got it yet, but
when I've had a chance to check it out I'll let you know.  I have great hopes
for this unit (Large Hall Reverb + Groovy Flange = ???)!

- -tim