Re: Which replacement speakers for ProJr

In a message dated 7/31/03 4:59:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hi John,
> I have one of the last ones thjey made using the same alnico magnet speaker
> they used in the Bassman RI (originally made by Eminance), and what they've
> got in there now is a ceramic ferrite magnet speaker, tho it's not horrible
> by any stretch of the imagination, the amp sounds its best with an alnico
> magnet speaker. The P10Q may be a tad darker than (talking about the RI
> versions) the P10R's, so it's a matter of personal choice. A Mojotone MP10R
> is an excellent choice also, and check Eminence also.
>
> Sincerely,
> Barbeque Bob Maglinte
> Boston, MA

Howdy,

In my experience I have yet to hear a modern alnico magnet speaker that
sounds remotely close to acceptable with a Pro Jr. The RI ceramics are much better
soundwise than the RI alnicos. The Jensen P10R's are garbage and the Mojos are
not much better; in almost every amp they come stock I have seen them removed
by guitar players and harp players.  The stock Eminence speaker that comes
with Pro Jr. is not a good assessment of what a good ceramic is supposed to
sound like for two reasons:

1. The magnet on the stock speaker is about the size of a walnut and does not
have capacity to handle the 15 watts of the Pro Jr. suitably. This maybe also
why the Jensen and Mojo P10R's do not fair much better, but I have heard
vintage alnicos that do not have that problem. So I would says its more likely
that the Mojo's and Jensen alnicos just suck.

2. The Eminence which is used for that the Pro Jr. is not the best model
which they have (I think its a lower end model that is horrible, if Fender had a
clue they would use the Eminence Legend which is a much better speaker).

I Cannot remark about the Jensen reissue P10Q's because I have not used them,
but if they are anywhere near the sound quality of the Jensen P10R's then
they are a total waste (Also at $76 a speaker the P10Q better be a great speaker
seeing that at that price you can pick up a Weber which would undoubtely out
perform Jensen's models). Save your money, get the C10Q, Have a sandwich, and
call it a day. You are not going to do much better.

Andrew