psychedelic harp 101

I've been playing along with Dark Star (Grateful Dead) from Live Dead an
album length song.It lays out well with a D harp playing A Myxolodian and E
Dorian. The key of the song is hard to pin down-the bass player is playing
melodically, making the actual key amorphous. The rhythm, the dynamics, the
energy all flucuate. At times the band seems telepathic.

I don't know of any harp players doing extended psychedelic jams. I'd like
to work more towards that goal which means a lot more practice and more
music theory. I don't have the jazz knowledge, the extensive classical
background,or the years of bluegrass and jug band music to draw on.Running
up and down a myxolodian scale in itself won't work, not for 25 minutes non
stop. For now I'll practice some extended jamming when I need a break from
the more structured routine, and once in awhile when I need to build up my
endurance.Someday I'll be able to play through a 25 minute song and keep it
fresh and interesting.

Rainbow Jimmy