Re: breathing techiniques (blanket response)

Thanks for the responses everybody. thought I'd hit them in one reply.

Rainbow Jimmy wrote:
I study Okinawan martial arts. Breathing techniques help. I find katas,
those tai chi like movements really help the concentration and memory. Also,
staying in shape really helps the playing, helps concentration, gives me the
stamina to play all night in a gig if I have to.

Hard to dedicate the time to both music and martial arts but it does add a
nice balance to life.Look at Elvis.

Thanks Jimmy,
I have found that the Japanese and Okinowan styles (with regards to
breathing) really increase power, or punch (the explosive release of Karate
and Tae Kwan Do for example). From what little I know about Japanese martial
arts, the breathing techniques used to develop internal power ("Ki") might
greatly benefit that sudden throat "valve" release or "pop" used to punch
notes out of a harp. Thanks for the suggestion.

PS: Wasn't it the cheeseburgers and Seconal that gave Elvis his balance?

Lonesome Dave wrote:
I have black belts in a few arts, including Bushido Kempo & Kajukenbo, the
breathing control & focus helps a great deal.
But friends tell me that Yoga breathing is the way to go.

Lonesome Dave

Thanks Dave,
Yoga breathing (especially Kundalini / Hatha) is very similar to Chinese Qi
Qong in that they both work  towards releasing and cycling internal energy
as well as increasing our ability to focus that energy. The breathing
techinique is based on a rhythmic cycle as well and is especially effective
(for me at least) when playing. I noticed that your belts are in Japanese
styles and was wondering if you ever studied Akido which is directly
descended from Chinese martial arts. I think there is a  breathing excercise
in that style which is very similar to Chinese Qi Qong / Tai Chi (and
therfore) Yoga.

Iceman wrote:
Yes, martial arts is wonderful. I was trained in Wah Lum Kung Fu and T'ai
Chi. The breath training included long and slow inhale, pausing (without
closing off the throat) for the same duration, followed by long slow exhale
and another long pause.

There is also a book and videos available about "The Art of Breathing" by
Nancy Zi which is highly recommended.

The Iceman

Thanks Iceman,
BINGO! I added "the Art of Breathing" to my reading list. Thanks for the
lead.
I really noticed the benefits of the breathing techniques for Qi Qong / Tai
Chic Chuan when I began the external martial applications. Since the slow
forms are very relaxed, their application for playing harp wasn't
immediately apparent to me. However, once I started learning how to use Tai
Chi in a self defense application it occurred to me that even after
extensive exertion against opponents there seemed little fatigue due to the
internal regulation of breathing and focus. It really helps on the long
notes during solos or chords behind long vocal lines. I can hold a single
note draw or blow for 50-60 seconds which, for me, is a long time.

Maybe I should develop a tai chi form that includes playing harp during the
steps and postures? ;)

ludo worte:
> Unfortunately not. On the contrary - I have an addiction problem with
> tobacco.
> I smoke since the age of 14 (now 46), and quit twice.
> The longest I succeeded was 5 months, but even then the urge to smoke was as
> strong as the first day I quit - hitting the head against the wall so to
> speak.
> For years it didn't bother me, but after 32 years of inhaling smoke all day
> long it's starting to affect my playing.
> Sorry to divert from your question David - but I wanted to address this to
> the youngest members on the list:
> don't be as DUMB as I was, because it's very likely you'll never get rid of
> it again.
>
> Ludo

Thanks Ludo,
No worries about the diversion. I've lost a lot of people from tobacco,
including my dad. I actually quit twice using the patch. It worked well for
the craving but stress took me back to it. So I got into martial arts and
man it worked. Been off cigs for a long time now.
This is just my suggestion. Sometimes people trying to get you to quit is
the worst part of smoking.
Smokey Joe wrote:
Hell, I can't print what Smokey wrote.
Smokey responded off-list for the sake of decorum and propriety.

Thanks Smokey Joe,
Joe, I will only say that there are some things you can't do with both your
nose and your mouth covered.....breathing is only one of them ;)