Re: Circle of 5ths in 30 min [was Re: Key sign language (minimal harp)]

fsstov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Gatorharp@xxxxxxx wrote:
 "i only know a few folks who know theory well enough or have memorized
 the
 circle of fifths..."

 A little device to aid in memorizing the circle of 5th.... >>

sorry i wasn't clear.  what i meant was that most of the people i play with
don't think in those terms...how many sharps or flats, or of using the c o'
5ths in that way.  some of 'em, if i put up three fingers, would think i meant
key of e because extending three fingers  looks like an "E".  i've seen guys use
an unconnected circle made with the thumb and index finger to mean "C", and
index and middle pointing down with the other index finger crossing for "A".
these all really happened!
i agree that using the circle of fifths is the easiest thing, as it is
established, a common language.
i also prefer to remember the circle of fifths as opposed to arrange my harps
that way, i guess just to force myself to learn it.  i figure your harps
could get knocked over and out of order, so it makes sense to me to know what i'm
looking for as opposed to what's sitting beside what i'm looing for.  but
that's me, and i'm not saying i'm right...it just fits my own set of analities.

steven j gatorman