Re: Bassman Players

Hi Dr. Blue,
First of all, are ytou referring to a REAL '59 Bassman (whichnis what I have
and is NOT modified in anyway) or a reissue, either stocvk or tweaked? Why?
It definitely DOES make a difference, Some of the settings are going to
depend on the mic you use also.

I use an Astatic JT30 with  crystal carrtridge that was set up by Rod Piazza
with the older style screw on connector and  a 5megaohm volume pot with a
cap across it. I use NOSA (new old stock) USA or Western European made
tubes, which clearly sound better and last much longer than 99% of the newer
production tubes. The tube configuration I use starting from the preamp tube
closest to the input jack are as follows:
NOS GE 12AY7/6072A
NOS GE 12AX7 (NOT 12AX7A/7025/ECC83)
NOS Phillips/Sylvania 12AX7A
NOS Phillips/Sylvania 5881
NOS Phillips/Sylvania 5881
NOS Mullard 5AR4/GZ34

Now as far as the settings, here they are, based on plugging into the #1
input jack of the normal channel:
NORMAL VOLUME: anywhere from 2-5
BRIGHT VOLUME: 6
TREBLE: Completely rolled off.
BASS: 6-7, but NEVER higher than 10
MIDDLE: 3, no higher than 5
PRESENCE: 8 and no higher than 10.

The only effects I use are made by Guyatone,and MD2 Digital Delay and MR3
Digital Reverb. I NEVER use nor do I EVER recommend using overdirve pedals.

I woiuld suggest reading Kendrick Amps man Gerald Weber's book "A Desktop
Reference of Hip Vintage Guitar Amps" available thru his site
http://www.kendrick-amps.com or from http://www.amazon.com and it contains
the finest chapter EVER written about this amp.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA