Re: The Augusta Experience (hut-tah hut-tah)

- --Apple-Mail-2--857321297

I had Phil Wiggins as an instructor in the morning; Carlos del Junco in
the afternoon; and The Iceman in the evening. It was a privilege to
have spent time with all three, but the The Iceman gave the most
substantial and satisfying lessons. The Iceman limited his presentation
to some one fundamental idea per class, which was treated clearly,
precisely and in depth. I--like my classmates, I suspect--was able to
apply the idea immediately upon exiting the class without the need of a
written or recorded prompt. I have already experienced improvement--and
not surprisingly--greater joy in my playing. And I expect to be able to
apply these ideas at all stages of my musical development.

Thank you, Larry, for your carefully crafted lessons. --In the words of
the great James Brown, "Please, please, please" come back.

john

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 11:47 AM, IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:

> What a wonderful week.
>
> There were many new students of high caliber, but the real excitement
> came from those that have become regulars.
>
> These students have shown amazing improvement. They return year after
> year, absorbing what they've learned. The proof was in the evening
> jamming. These guys are the "anti-gusses", respecting space and time,
> picking and choosing their moments, building solos over 12 or 24 bars,
> using silence in their ideas, etc.
>
> This is the best form of ongoing education on the workshop market
> today. It mixes highly qualified teachers with much opportunity to
> play outside of the classroom, tosses in interaction with jazz/swing
> players as well, and offers many performance opportunities as well as
> jamming. Although mostly acoustic, there has been an electric jam/band
> lab added to the week.
>
> Those of you that want the full bodied experience, look into attending
> Augusta Heritage Blues Week 2004.
>
> The Iceman
>
> ps - reviews by those that participated last week would be of interest
> to the list.

John Galvin
Translation:	French into English
			Italian into English

[...]