Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:57:59 -0400
From: "George Brooks" <gbrooks1@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: OVERBLOWING-"the 8-track of techniques"-NOT!!!!!!

   More importantly,
it also seems to imply that if you master the technique, you will be
able to
play chromatically on the diatonic while, again, this is definitely not
the
case.  You still have to master the bends.
==============================
That is true. There is another quality that must be mastered, That is a
musicality that is a 12 note mindset, not just a musicality that is
simply based on the diatonic scale peppered with blues notes and the
occasional chromatic inflection. It is one thing to be a diatonically
oriented in one's music versus someone who has the freedom to make
total expression with their music, which must be a 12 note expression
without making one key or one note better or worse than the next. Can
you imagine the outcry that would result if you asked the world's piano
players to imagine a world in which certain notes of their piano would
not be available to them, and if they were, they would be slightly out
of tune? They would not stand for it, they know that all the notes are
there and not to play them or acknowledge them would be tantamount to
wearing sunglasses while driving-it can be done but you will miss much
needed detail.

This lifelong journey of 12 note musicality is a journey, not a
destination, I have no claim as such. I do know that being able to play
complicated musical passages has cheered many a producer and brought me
much work as a harmonica player that never would have come my way had I
not accepted this in my life. For this, I must thank toots, robert
bonfiglio and howard levy, all with whom I have studied. But without
with formally unschooled musicality of little walter, lee oscar, sonny
boys, charlie mccoy, paul butterfield, my world would be certainly less
soulfull.

I give thanks to all those who have come before. The world needs those
who play with their heart/head and/or the head/heart. One fine
quotation is the one that says " play written music as if it were
improvised and play improvised music as if it were written"

To stay young requires learning new skills. Embrace the new, invest in
yourself for no-one can ever rob you of this.
This feeds esteem.

play on brothers, see you on the way to Carnegie Hall, practice,
practice, practice

randy

WWW.RANDYSINGER.COM
WWW.RANDYANDNATASHA.COM

"It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it
would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a
Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure." -- Albert Einstein

- --Apple-Mail-57--1023279340

George,

You have excellent insights on the absurd notion of overblowing
obsolence.

I wish to add one more clarification to your reply.

[...]

</color></underline>"It would be possible to describe everything