Re: I need help with my valved bend

Hi Steve;

It's not the valve - they either work or don't.  If it sounds choked,
strangled, etc., you're probably trying too hard to bend it, and probably
don't have the optimal embouchure (it's probably not exactly resonant at the
C#) for this particular note.  Valving will make it a lot more critical.
Slightly mistuned resonance that works fine on a double reed won't work on a
valved single reed.

Try adjusting the size of your mouth.  This will be a very subtle and
precise thing, especially because you've valved just one reed.  If this
proves troublesome, you might want to valve all the bendables to maintain
consistency.

As you play the unbent 7D as you usually do (and play gently at this point),
start slowly dropping your jaw.  There should be a point where the reed
starts bending, rather effortlessly.  A LITTLE more volume and the reed will
come play a semitone flat (which is what we're looking for).  It won't take
much mouth-volume change.

You'll also probably notice that you can bend it further than a semitone
(probably much further).

Once you've determined the "move", practice it slowly.  Play the C#, stop,
play the C, stop, and repeat.

Good luck.  And stick to it.  you may master this overnight.  It took me a
couple of months to be ready for the stage.

From: "Stephen Shaw" <moorcot@xxxxxxx>