Re: Advanced techniques and attitudes...

Hi Jimbeau;

Excellent response.  Yup - harmonica players don't have a monopoly on
flakiness.  Not even close.  In fact, most harmonica players I know are a
bit more on the humble side than a lot of other musicians.

Also true that a lot of mediocre musicians don't have a good work ethic and
won't rehearse (or woodshed - which is probably why they're mediocre ;-)
However, (I'm sure you know) this isn't always the case.  As one gains
experience and a repertoire (especially in a rather specialized genre like
blues, jazz, rock covers, etc.), reading skills, and a good ear, one is more
able to walk into a gig situation and handle it.

A good example of this is Lee Oskar.  He doesn't have time to rehearse with
his band, so he has charts for everyone.

I was called about a week ago for a "guitar" gig last night (Saturday) with
a singer I'd just met.  I didn't know any of her material (except
generically).  She gave me a cassette of her CD.  I was able to listen to it
about five times, which (having a good ear) helped.  As it turns out, the
whole band was subs - Steve F'dor on keys, Hank Deluxe on skins, and Vince
(something-or-other) on bass.  There were a few clams, but generally
speaking, we pulled it off with panache.  But all of us have many years
experience playing blues and R&B - and we listen to one another.  We didn't
have charts.

I work with some other singers that have "books", and this makes it even
easier.

Charts make a lot of sense if your band is a bit larger.  With more heads,
there's more likelihood that someone won't be able to make a gig.  If you've
got the more difficult and unusual stuff charted out, it's easy to find a
sideman for the evening.

And I agree that a "chick magnet" car is cheaper (and easier) than running a
band, honing ones chops on esoteric techniques, and such.

From: "Jimbeau Harp" <jimbeauharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>