Re: Dying artform [offlist]

Douglas Tate responds to Scorcher:

> The best person to arrange local classes is YOU.
<SNIP>

Point taken.

> Grants and Harmonica Subsidies.?

<SNIP>

Just asking. As I'm not a member, and I don't know what programs
currently exist.
It was a request for information.

> Quite a bit of my time as Pres of SPAH goes to pointing people to
good
> traders, or clubs where they can get a good deal.  We get nothing
back.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but if you get "nothing", why
bother?
I understand that there's very little MATERIAL gain to be realized for
the effort,
but I also understand that there are SOME people (like you, I suspect)
who are not motivated
solely by material gain. That do good things because they enjoy it and
believe
in the *intrinsic* value of some things....

> As a matter of interest... are YOU a member? :))

Point taken.

> 95% or more of all the
> requests for info which I answer result in (a) no email of thanks
and a
> lack of interest in joining the organization which helped.

I'm sorry to hear that - you contribute enormously to this community.
You should hear our appreciation often, loudly.

> There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.    The more people who
support
> organizations such as SPAH and buy magazines such as The Harmonica
Educator
> and American Harmonica Newsmagazine, or join clubs, the more the
things you
> want can happen.
>
> All clubs, magazines etc are run by a very few dedicated people who
give
> freely of their time... none make any money out of it.  Guard these
> resources by joining and buying etc.

> OK... having given the lecture ... :))  How would you go about
getting
> funds together or organizing such a fund gathering and distribution
> network  Scorcher??   Seriously.
>
> Douglas tate
> President ... SPAH

Douglas,
First: thank you - for the effort and dedication, for the resources
you provide, and for
addressing this directly.

I'll have to rethink my "non-membership" of SPAH;
As there's no local Harmonica Club or chapter, (San DIego, CA, US) I
haven't joined.
(I guess that's not really an excuse.)

Although I'm not a member, I participate (and have benefitted) in the
discussions on this list -
does that qualify me as contributing to the problem? Or the solution?
;-)

I also have not attended the annual get-togethers...not enough time or
money in my
present situation (raising 2 children). That's not likely to change,
at least 'till they're out of the house - about 12 years.

As to the rest -

We all contribute as we can, I think.
I have been an "evangelist" of the harmonica on the grass-roots
level - I've given away dozens
(maybe SCORES) of diatonics to friends and acquaintances. I've given
"harmonica presentations" to a local
loose-knit group of musicians I play with monthly. I CONSTANTLY talk
about playing this wonderful little instrument -
and find opportunities to play with other musicians every chance I
get. (About 2 times a week, lately).

As for "taking responsibility" to start a chapter or club here;
Having run a computer user-group for 2 years, I've learned my lesson
about starting/chairing/running clubs.
As you mentioned, there's very little material return on the
investment. I also found that information/benefits
(in my organization) tended to flow in one direction only...
No thanks.

Finally, as I've never done these sorts of things before I don't know
HOW I'd go about it.
I'm sure someone in your position has tried many ways to promote
harmonica - and, obviously, you've had better success with your
efforts than I - look at all the people you reach with your message -
I've only reached a few score - you've  reached thousands.

As your question:
" How would you go about getting  funds together or organizing such a
fund gathering and distribution network Scorcher??   Seriously."

Money: (a couple suggestions - maybe you've tried)
We have an organization called "The National Endowment for the Arts"
which gives monies to artists regularly...Schools and Universities
also grant funds to educational foundations...I know an avid harmonica
collector and player who is the VP of a large corporation (large
corporations often grant funds to projects).

Folks, Organization:
Harp-L, Harp-Talk, Harp-On, and Slidemeister  have ...how many
subscribers worldwide? 5 times the amount of SPAH members, I reckon.
You know far more Harmonica Enthusiasts than I do....

If I were trying to start a new rennaisance, I'd start with the
newsgroups - identify the evangelists, (I really like Dennis's idea)
and get the groups talking about it - then acting on it. I bet there's
a way to get at least a LITTLE bit of funding (benefit concerts, hell,
even donations from local music stores) on local levels to further the
cause. Compared to my $17 Golden Melodies, a $400 Bass is a
significant investment - local harmonica players who are willing to
learn and play orchestral instruments (like me) may not be able to
afford one (like me).

As for me, I'm considering starting a band...in the jug/skiffle
tradition. I think a band that applies new arrangements to *popular*
music from other genres could be a fun and effective way to expose
audiences to "new" sounds. I think I could insert a wide variety of
harmonicas into some more *popular* tunes in a way that would
be...well, intrigueing, if not appealing ;-).
How about covers of Metallica, Jack Johnson, Blink, ZZ Top, Toby
Keith, Pink,  Ray Charles, and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, to start?

- -I'd like to see orchestral harmonicas get more exposure in an
ensemble setting (of MIXED instruments)- before they get to be
impossible to find. Any idea where I can find a harmonetta cheap? ;-)

Keep doing what you're doing, Douglas - you're having a terrific
impact on your community, and you're very much appreciated - even if
you don't hear it as much as you should

- -Scorcher