Re: Dying artform

> From: Mojo Red <harplicks@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:46:36 -0700 (PDT)
> To: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Dying artform
>

> --- Scorcher <s_c_o_r_c_h_e_r@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> How do we save these cool esoteric harmonicas
>> like Basses, Chords, and Polyphonias from
>> extinction? Does anybody have any ideas how to
>> "integrate" these into "more popular" musical
>> forms? Or how to start a harmonica band?
>>
>> Seriously,
>> -Scorcher

My neighbor's 14 year old son (a punk rock fanatic at the time), first
introduced himself to me two years ago because I was playing a Dead Kennedys
CD in my garage. I started talking to him for a while and made big points
when I told him I saw the DKs, Black Flag, Ramones, etc back in the late
70's. Anyway in an attempt to make a new convert I told him that the real
punks were people like Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Walter. I saw him again a
couple months later and he was asking which Wolf CD to buy (score 1!) and
asked about proto-punk from the early 60's so I hit him with Them, Animals,
Fugs, etc.

He came by about a month ago and asked which harp to start-up with as he and
his friends are forming a "Folk Core" band and he is in charge of the
concertina, accordian, and harmonica. He said he had this "monster" harp his
granddad gave him a long time ago but didn't know what it was for. I let him
try a diatonic but he fell in love with my echo and chromatic. Then he went
home and brought out his granddaddy's bass harp and asked how to hit it.

"folk-core"? on a bass harp?.......there's hope yet.