re: dying art form

Hi Bullfrog,

Most of the heavy hitters of Bass Harmonica use old Shure Ribbon microphones
with chest mounts. Danny Wilson plays his into a monster head and cabinet
set that just sounds awesome. You might want to check out
http://www.bassharp.com for more information.

It's not dying... There are a few of us that are trying to learn enough
about these orchestral jeejaws to carry the harmonica group torch into the
next generation. I've gone so far as to purchase and give away two bass
harmonicas to promising young players this year at workshops I've done.

I do seem to have gotten everything backwards these days. I've recently
worked up "A Foggy Day in London Town" and "Ain't Misbehaving" on my
diatonic harmonica and most everything ZZ-Top has ever recorded on my
bassharp.

I and a couple of co-conspirators are planning to unleash an
all-instrumental ZZ-Top tribute band on an unsuspecting harmonica event in
the not-to-distant future. Boy, talk about the need for homeland security.
Harmonica gatherings are not immune! If you don't surrender after that,
we'll add accordions, ensuring free reed dominance of the entire planet!

I believe that with the proper lack-of-knowledge about what can't be done on
any given harmonica model combined with a love of music and entertaining
crowds, that many wonderful things can be accomplished with the humble
Harmonica...

Sincerely,
The Harmaniac? Dennis M. Cooper
http://www.mp3.com/crossharp