Re: Dying artform

- --- Scorcher <s_c_o_r_c_h_e_r@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> How do we save these cool esoteric harmonicas
> like Basses, Chords, and Polyphonias from
> extinction? Does anybody have any ideas how to
> "integrate" these into "more popular" musical
> forms? Or how to start a harmonica band?
>
> Seriously,
> -Scorcher

Hey Scorcher,

I've not done a lot of exploring with some of the
more unusual harps out there, but I have played
around with Echo harps some and they fit in nicely
with Zydeco style music and somewhat into old-style
blues (using 3rd position). Quite a haunting sound
when played through a natty old tube amp, I must
say!

However, I think the best way to integrate these
harps into modern music is to.... use them! I know
that Paul Oscher (sp?) used a big bass harp in one
of his recent deep blues CDs and it sounded great!

If we each pick out one of these unusual harps and
simply play around with them, it is our own musical
innovation that will uncover a home for them in a
modern musical context.

Not sure how easily the harmonica band concept
would go over... eccept perhaps in grade schools???
Much cheaper than traditional band isntruments.

It's ultimately up to us to keep harps alive.

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens