Re: New Player

> Here's a few jam session rules from the JT30 webpage:
> http://www.jt30.com/jt30page/oldsite/rules.html

I looked these over.  There's some good advice - and some not so good, or
valid for all jams, etc.  But rules?  Not at the jams I run, nor at the jams
I attend.  My advice for a first time jammer - befriend one of the old
timers at the jam you're at.  Maybe a band member or similar.  Ask what the
"rules" are.  You'll generally find that you'll fit in anywhere on harp if
you only play when it's your turn.  The biggest offense most beginning
harmonica players commit is playing over vocals, other peoples solos, and
everyone and everything else.  Yes Little Walter did it, but <ahem> he was
Little Walter, and the bands he played in were built around harmonica.
Today most bands are guitar centric.

If you aren't sure what key harp to use, ask.  Usually someone will know how
to convert key to crossharp.  Better yet, make a chart of "song key to harp
key for 2nd position", or check the archives.

In Southern California, many jams are not for beginners.  We have a lot of
session musicians here, and some jams cater to these.

I host a "beginning harmonica player friendly" jam every Tuesday 8pm at
Starboard Attitude (Redondo Beach CA), and every Sunday 2pm except the last
at Stagger Inn (9108 Alondra, just off Lakewood and the 91), Bellflower CA.
Just let me know in advance that you're a beginner and need something easy.

If you're a beginning harmonica player in Southern California, you're really
in luck.  On the last Sunday of each month, LARHA hosts a harmonica ONLY jam
(in Irvine) that, while it's for harmonica players of all styles and
abilities, caters to beginners.

both of these jams are great places to get your feet wet and pick up
pointers not just on jams but on harmonica in general.

http://www.billhouse.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/StormyMonday.mp3
NEW VIDEO CLIP http://www.studiocam.org/rplayer/mcMV.htm

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues Magazine
http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm jam Starboard Attitude, Redondo pier
Every Sun, 2pm Stagger Inn, 9018 Alondra, Bellflower, except:
Last SUN, LARHA HarpJam, Tia Juanas, Irvine
6/11 10pm BB Kings, Universal Citywalk
6/18 7-11pm Mission Tobacco, Riverside CA