Fwd: Harmonica, No Respect

>   Traveling along on the great No Respect ("stigma") train, another
>interesting stop.
>   Sooo, I was sitting around with a bunch of "Real" musicians Wed
>nite after the gig and we got to talking about the harmonica. The
>keyboard man (Timmy) can play like 7-8 instruments and allowed as
>how he had "Tried" the harmonica but gave up.
>   The Alt-sax man (Stevie) and Ten-sax man (Bud), then to my
>amazement the Talmadge Farlow sounding guitar man (Bob) added, "Same
>here". The drummer (as usual) remained silent. The trumpet man
>(George) just shook his head.
>
>  So here's MY synopsis: On a sax, Keyboard, Trumpet, the notes are
>in the same place ALL THE TIME. When you manipulate the keys a
>certain way, THAT's the sound you get, it doesn't change. Switching
>keys doesn't matter, the notes are still where they ought to be.
>There's ONE way to the note. Looking at it as a street address,
>there is only ONE road to this house..that's it.
>
>  I was asked; How do you keep all this crap straight? First you have
>a way to the note via a "blow", then via an "inhale", then, as if
>this isn't confusing enough, there's a way to the note via an inhale
>COMBINED with a push of the slide, OR, oh my God, Kill Me, even a
>way to the note via a blow COMBINED with a push of the slide.
>
>  Each and every time you change keys, there is a DIFFERENT way to
>find the note(s). There is even the confusion of finding the same
>note in the same song in the same key in TWO DIFFERENT ways while
>doing the same "Run". AND to add to this insanity, you even have
>different HOLES to remember depending on if you want to "blow next
>OR "draw" next.
>
>  Also, if you don't plan your moves correctly, you either run OUT of
>air OR FILL up with air and can't get rid of it because the tune is
>moving along too fast. Looking at THIS as a street address, there
>are a multitude of ways to get to this house. First there's a street
>out front. Then a street down each SIDE, then an alley in the back.
>Combine THIS with the TWO sidewalks down each side of the house, AND
>SEVERAL different DOORS, this house has UMPTEEN ways in and out.

   Diatonic is just as crazy. Even though you don't have the slide,
NOW you don't have THAT friend. A slide can be a real life saver in a
crunch. BUT a diatonic must be "Milked" into numerous notes which
AREN't THERE, which must be "Manufactured", and can "confound" the
tongue/embochure/airway/breathing pattern. The Diatonic has to
(literally) be part of your body in order to function nicely, (if at
all).