Fwd: Re: Re: Harmonica range - and tremolo harp bending

Coast to Coast is wrong. I do this all the time.

When you are playing both of the double reed pair, liwk, say the C
reed and the C-slightly-sharp reed, then trying to bend will give
uncontrollable and probably not very satisfactory results. But if you
isolate just the top row of holes, where the regular C reed lives,
then you can bend.

The problem with some harps, like the Hohner Echo, is that there is
little hole punched in the wall between the top and bottom rows. This
is not to prevent bending. it's just to make sure that sloppy players
don't miss playing both rows if they don;t aim right. You can always
plug up the holes.

Now, once you can isolate the top row, a tremolo or octave harp
actually has a much bigger bending potential than a regular harp.
Each reed is in its own hole. This means that you can

1) Bend an isolated reed in a "valved" bend. This is available for
every single blow and draw reed anywhere on the harp.

2) Play a dual-reed bend on any draw note that can be played with a
lower-pitched blow reed in your mouth at the same time. This can even
happen in the upper range of the harp where draw notes normally don't
bend.

3) Play a dual-reed blow bend on any blow note that can be played
with a lower-pitched draw note in your mouth at the same time. This
is even possible in the lower ranges of the harp where blow notes
don't normally bend.

4) Play overblows on any draw reed, and play overdraws on any blow
reed, anywhere on the harp, by isolating just that one reed.

I've been playing a lot of tremolo harp lately with the San Francisco
Scottish Fiddlers. Sometimes there is a key change (like from A to D)
or a mode change (like from D Major to D Mixolydian). Rather than
switch harps, I might use a few bends here and there.

In the sequence of tunes where the key changes from A to D, the scale
changes so that it contains a G-natural instead of the
G# that the A-harp has built in. Depending on where I am on the harp
this will take whatever bending form works best - it might be a dual-
reed draw bend, and overblow, or an isolated-reed draw bend. Or I
might get lucky and find that one of the tunes never uses the note
that differs between the two scales.

Some tunes stay in the same key but shift mode. For instance, Pipe on
the Hob is a tune that moves back and forth between D Major (with a
C#) and D mixolydian (with a C natural). Switching harps for one or
two notes in a phrase is too awkward, and maybe I want the tremolo
sound that I won't get from a chromatic. So I choose either a D-harp
and bend when I need the C natural, or choose a G-harp (second
position) and bend when I need the C#. (in the case of Pipe on the
Hob I chose a G-harp).

Winslow

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "BT" <bulldog483@xxxx> wrote:

Coast to Coast  said that the double reed Harmonica cannot be
bent ,yet in
that Kim Wilson NPR interview , it sounded like he was bending a
double reed
,,was it my imagination or is he that good . I do not have ,nor have
I ever
played a double reed but I have wanted to since hearing that
interview.
He may have played some tongue blocks and I am not accustom to
hearing them
on the doubles..
Bulldog