Kim Wilson's Momentum Playing

In a message dated 7/7/03 11:59:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
s_c_o_r_c_h_e_r@xxxxxxx writes:

> Kim Wilson's incredible FIRST position (G harp)
> work on "Trust My Baby" ("Tigerman") is a current favorite
> of mine.

An alternative to studying the classic blues playing of the ODBG's (this is
what I call the Masters of the Harmonica - ie the Little and Bigs, all the
Sonny's etc), is to study all facets of Kim's playing. He is a great gathering
source of all that the masters had to offer rolled up in one living guy.

Get the re-releases of his earliest T-bird stuff, solo CD's, guest
appearances on other CD's (Willie Smith, Bonnie Raitt, Jimmy Rogers, etc) and the more
current T-Bird releases (which have at least one or two good tunes
w/harmonica).

Go see him play live.

Get the SPAH Video.

Through studying all these resources and in my interviews and just hanging
with Kim, I find that he has a tremendous momentum approach to the craft. Kim
has told me that he hasn't "planned out" his solos since he used to learn off
the old vintage records. He works off the momentum he establishes with his inner
groove and his ideas spin out, like meteors caught in the gravitational pull
of a heavenly body that circle and are propelled into outer space.

Off course, he has a tremendous quiver full of "idea" arrows that he has
collected over the course of his professional career from which to draw upon, but
he shoots them off in constantly new and fresh configurations.

The center of his creative universe is this strong sense of momentum which
imparts the motion to the ideas. I've developed a concept based on momentum that
teaches students to develop their own sense of groove and how to open the
door that leads to improvisation.

This is the basis for my upcoming class at Blues Week, if anyone is
interested in this area of blues harmonica performance.

The Iceman