Re: Daily Almanac - July 3

>From: <pkrampert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

>Blues singer, guitar and harmonica player Mississippi John Hurt was born on
>this day in 1893.  Hurt began playing music for money around the age of
>twelve.  He recorded several records during the 1920's then returned to
>farming until he was re-discovered in the 1960's.

One of my all-time favorite blues CDs is Mississippi John Hurt "1928
Sessions".

Hurt's style is very different from other blues musicians in Mississippi at
that time. His vocals are more restrained, not like the "shouting" style of
people like Charlie Patton who were playing jukes and house parties and
needed to be heard over the noise of a crowded room.

His guitar playing is amazing -- the syncopation and counterpoint between
his bass lines and melody lines are as virtuosic as anything done by Robert
Johnson.

Every song is a winner: my favorites are Avalon, Candyman, Ain't No Telling,
and Got The Blues (Can't Be Satisfied).

I highly recommend it to anyone who loves acoustic blues.

Sorry -- no harp content. There's no harp on the CD.

Jimbeau