Re: Amp question

Hi Russ,

> Mark,
> Interesting observations.  Nothing like the empirical method to settle  an
issue. Couple of questions from your amp tests:
> 1.  Was the Pro Jr. an original tweed with the alnico speaker, or was it
the black tolex with the ceramic speaker?  BIG difference in the sound
there.

The amp is blonde and was purchased about a year ago so it's one of the
newer models.

 > 2.  How did the Kalamazoo hold up in the jam?  Did it have to be miked?
>.

After our April jam Mike told me his ears were ringing when he got home that
night.  I  told him I had the same problem.  We decided then that we were
going to make this a low volume situation which we've done ever since.  The
Kalamazoo cuts through just fine on about 8.  If we can't hear the harp we
know we're getting too loud.

  My tweed/alnico tubed-down Pro Jr. does a pretty good job of holding
> its own against a 50W Mesa Boogie and a drummer on steroids, and the
> Kalamazoo only has 1 EL84.  I like the sound of the Champs, but have
> found they don't cut through well when playing with loud guitars

   The ability to turn up and get more volume out of the amp is definately a
plus in some situations.   You'll have to mic the Kazoo when the volume goes
up.

It almost sounds like were talking about two different amp.  Seems like the
older Pro Jr. is a different animal compared to the newer ones.  When
someone comes out to the jam with one of the older models I'll check it out
with the Kazoo and report back.

Mark

> Thanks,
> Russ
>
> Mark Wilson wrote:
>
> > > My vote is for a Fender Pro Jr. In my inexperienced, humble opinion
it's
> >definitely in the top 3 for
> >
> >>the money.
> >>

> >Lots of votes for the Pro Junior, but I have to disagree.  Mike Curtis
got
> >stuck in traffic coming to the Irvine Jam yesterday.  We had 7 or 8 harp
> >players standing around so we decided to do an amp test/comparison.  We
had
> >4 small class A tube amps on stage, the Pro Jr, a 1955 Tweed Champ, a
1968
> >Silverface Champ, and a Kalamazoo Model 1.
> >
> >We tested the amps with a Hohner Bluesblaster, an Astatic T3, and a Green
> >Bullet.
> >
> >The Pro Jr. is a very good harp amp but really did not compare to the
other
> >3.  We even tried a couple of tube changes to try to improve the tone
with
> >no luck.  I would have no problem using the Pro Jr., but if I had a
choice
> >I'd go with either of the other 3 first.
> >
> >The 1955 Champ was a great harp amp.  This particular amp was owned by
Rod
> >Piazza up until a few years ago.  Very good tone and the amp broke up
nicely
> >even at lower volumes.  It would be the perfect amp for a low volume jam
in
> >your living room with a guitar player.  Once the music started it was a
bit
> >of a different story.  With the amp cranked and a tight cup on the mic it
> >broke up too early and was almost too dirty sounding.
> >

> >The 1968 Silverface Champ is a supreme harp amp and performed much better
> >than the 1955 Champ once the music started.  More volume and punch and
quite
> >a bit more leeway before it started to break up.  Clearly the better
choice
> >in a live music situation.  For low volume living room stuff I'd give the
> >nod to the 1955.
> >
> >The good news for all you harp players on a  budget is that the Kazoo
held
> >its own just fine and was judged by several harp players as the best of
the
> >4.  The owner of the Pro Jr. is now in the market for a Kalamazoo Model 1
> >himself.  The Kazoo has the stock tube setup but does have an upgraded
> >Jensen C10Q speaker.  Great tone, smooth creamy breakup, and nice solid
> >punch when you need it.  I let all the players choose which amp they'd
like
> >to play through and the Kazoo was the amp of choice followed closely by
the
> >1968 Champ.
> >
> >You can pick up these Kalamazoos on Ebay for about a hundred dollars.
Add