Re: Amp question

- --- "Mark Wilson" <markwilson53@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: "Mark Wilson"
> > Lots of votes for the Pro Junior, but I have to disagree.> <SNIP>> > The
Pro Jr. is a very good harp amp
> <SNIP>> > I would have no problem using the Pro Jr> <SNIP>>

>Um...which is it? (Just joking, Mark!)

I hope so, we've got some serious message editing going on here!

> > The 1955 Champ
> How much $ ?

You're right, too many $$$$ to qualify.

> > The 1968 Silverface Champ is a supreme harp amp

> How Much $ ?

The late 60's Champs regularly go off  on Ebay under $300.00.

> And I'd STILL rate the Pro Jr. in the top 5, on a "Bang-for-your-$"
> scale....

That what I thought until we did the side by side on Sunday.  I'm not trying
to dis the Pro Jr.,
it's a good harp amp,  but it was clearly inferior compared to the Kazoo and
the two Champs.
 I made the assumption that vintage Silvertones, Gibsons,  Premiers, etc..
would have provided the same
result, thus rounding out the top 5.

I guess we'll never know for sure until we line em up and check em out.

Mark

Hi,
One big thing that makes those cloassic vintage amps sound so good is the fact that they are point-to-point cloth covered hand wired, and the Pro Junior (as well as the Blues Junior) uses a printed circuit board. Now considering the fact that the Pro Junior has a printed circuit board, it really sounds great considering that fact.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA

PS,
Of course, you can always special order a boutique version from companies like Victoria to make one for you that's got point-to-point cloth covered hand wiring if you wanna spend the dough on it. The best sounding Pro Juniors are the ones made up until 1995, which still used the blue frame alnico magnet speakers (made by Eminence for Fender), which was the exact same speaker used in the Bassman RI's for years.

- --
Harp-l is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.org
Hosted by ValuePricehosting.com, http://www.valuepricehosting.com