Rant: Blues, Overblows, and other Stuff

I have been lurking for some time now after being kind of active for a couple of years. The overblow thing is starting to sound like the "great comp material debate." Look, If you like overblows then enjoy them when you hear them. If you really like overblows then use them in your own repetoire. If you don't like overblows or they don't work for you then don't use them and don't listen to music you consider un-enjoyable (is that a word?).

Blues... what are blues, who is entitled to play them, ??? - Every musician, composer has written "blues." They are expressions of the soul. I really believe that Beethoven's 9th is his "blues." Now, certainly some songs are more stereotypically "blues" and are more widely recognized as such by a wider range of people... they still aren't the "only legitimate blues."

Set ups and Sound - When you get the chance to play and have fun in such a way that you are entertaining to an audience, do it. If it means you are playing through the PA when you are used to playing through your boutique bassman, then work real hard to do a good job through the PA. It will make you a better player when you return to your bassman. Love the PA, but have to occaissionally play through a (gasp) solid state amp.... do it... do it as well as you can...

My point?

Fer crying out loud... have fun! It is all about fun! Our fun and, more importantly, our kind listeners' fun!

Whit