Re: overblows, was Same Old Thing

Overblows are not "isolated reed", unless you use a specially modified harp
like the Bahnson, which isolates the reed via muting the unused reed.  You
still have the interaction of two reeds.  This is why they sound
cardboardey.

With coverplates removed, do an overblow, then (while playing the OB) mute
the inactive reed.  The timbre will change.

With a valved harp, reed isolation is actual.

It's similar with normal bends.  Even though only the one (opposing) reed is
vibrating at "full bend", there is still some interaction, and this affects
things.

I have an experimental harp that is fully valved (20 windsavers).  The
timbre is dramatically different, with the "normal" bends having a much more
"valved bend" sound.  The overall quality is remarkably consistent, and to
my ear the tone is dramatically improved.  The "normal" bends are *much*
deeper than traditional bends, some being several whole tones.  The only
problem I'm having with it is that it's extremely sluggish, and is nearly
impossible to play "fast".  I'm experimenting with different reed offsets to
counteract this.

> Interesting opinion, since an overblow isn't much more than an isolated
reed
> bend.  Valved reed bends are isolated reed bends too.
> The valves you install in your C LOs, isolate those reed allowing you to
bend
> it.  The difference between your valve bends and overblows is only in
technique
> and the way the reed swings is different. ... NOT in tone or sound -
overblows
> and valved bends are tonally very close - certainly a great deal closer
than say
> typical double reed bends like with regular diatonic harp bends.
>
> Regards
> G.

http://www.billhouse.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues Magazine
http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm jam Starboard Attitude, Redondo pier
Every Sun, 2pm Stagger Inn, 9018 Alondra, Bellflower, except:
Last SUN, LARHA HarpJam, Tia Juanas, Irvine