Harp at the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame (no real HC)

Russ asked:
Cleveland?  No offense to anyone from Cleveland, but it's not
exactly the most significant city in the history of Rock and Roll.  Why
did they pick Cleveland for the site except that it's all about money?
__________

Had a lot to do with Alan Freed's ground-breaking WJW-Cleveland
radio show of the early 50's, and with the generally accepted (if
erroneous) perception that he actually coined the term "rock 'n'
roll."  But you're also correct about the money aspect: to their
credit, Cleveland also lobbied quite hard for the honor.  Check out:
http://www.alanfreed.com/archives/RRHoF/177%20Cleveland%20Made%203-20-86.pdf

Frankly I'd agree that Memphis would've been a better choice for the
HOF, but at least Cleveland was actively interested in the project
and, by most accounts, has done a fine job. <shrug>

And at least it's not Philly -- (no offense to Philly folks -- you
DO have a cool downtown, great architecture, a rich history, a big
bell, and the world's greatest Cheese Steak, but) if Philly had the R&R
HOF we might be looking at 'icons' like Frankie Avalon, Bobby Rydell,
Fabian, Bobby Vinton and Dick "He Who Never Ages But Has Always Been
An Amazingly Lame Creep" Clark, fuhgodssake...

...all the above IMHO of course...  :)

cheers,

Tom Ball,
Santa Barbara (undisputed Home Of The Blues)
http://www.tomballkennysultan.com